Terms and conditions
- Copyright / Permission to Reproduce
- Government of Canada Privacy Notice
- Official Languages Notice
- Hyperlinking Notice
- Web Analytics
- Interacting with Us on Social Media
Copyright/Permission to Reproduce
Materials on this Web site were produced and/or compiled by the Canadian Security Intelligence Service for the purpose of providing Canadians with direct access to information about the programs and services offered by the Government of Canada.
The material on this site is covered by the provisions of the Copyright Act, by Canadian laws, policies, regulations and international agreements. Such provisions serve to identify the information source and, in specific instances, to prohibit reproduction of materials without written permission.
Information on this site has been posted with the intent that it be readily available for personal and public non-commercial use and may be reproduced, in part or in whole and by any means, without charge or further permission from the Canadian Security Intelligence Service. We ask only that:
- Users exercise due diligence in ensuring the accuracy of the materials reproduced;
- The Canadian Security Intelligence Service be identified as the source department; and,
- The reproduction is not represented as an official version of the materials reproduced, nor as having been made, in affiliation with or with the endorsement of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service.
Reproduction of multiple copies of materials on this site, in whole or in part, for the purposes of commercial redistribution is prohibited except with written permission from the Government of Canada's copyright administrator, Public Works and Government Services Canada (PWGSC). Through the permission granting process, PWGSC helps ensure individuals/organizations wishing to reproduce Government of Canada materials for commercial purposes have access to the most accurate, up-to-date versions. To obtain permission to reproduce materials on this site for commercial purposes please contact:
Public Works and Government Services Canada
Publishing and Depository Services
350 Albert Street
Some of the materials and graphical elements found on Government of Canada Web sites are subject to copyrights held by other organizations. This is particularly true of sites that are jointly operated by a Government of Canada institution and an external organization as part of a collaborative arrangement. In such cases, some restrictions on the reproduction of materials or graphical elements may apply and it may be necessary to seek permission from the rights holder prior to reproducing the material.
To obtain information concerning copyright ownership and restrictions on reproduction on this site, please contact:
Canadian Security Intelligence Service
P.O. Box 9732
Postal Station "T"
Government of Canada Privacy Notice
- CSIS Web sites do not automatically gather any specific personal information from you, such as your name, phone number or e-mail address. We would only obtain this type of information if you supply it by sending us an e-mail or registering in a secure portion of the site.
- All personal information held or collected by CSIS is protected under the federal Privacy Act. This means that at any point of collection you will be asked for consent to collect your information, and you will be informed of the purpose for which it is being collected and how to exercise your right of access to that information.
- CSIS employs software programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage. This software receives and records the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the computer that has contacted our Web site, the date and time of the visit and the pages visited. We make no attempt to link these addresses with the identity of individuals visiting our site unless an attempt to damage the site has been detected.
- CSIS occasionally uses "cookies" to track how our visitors use this site or to determine sites previously visited. The cookies we use do not allow us to identify individuals. They are compiled into statistical information on traffic patterns and are used to assess site efficiency. The system will notify you before any cookies are used so that you may refuse them, and the refusal of cookies will not affect the site performance or restrict your ability to access information from this site. (A "cookie" is a file that may be placed on your hard drive without your knowledge by a Web site to allow it to monitor your use of the site.)
- Information on individual visitors is used by CSIS employees who need to know the information in order to respond to your request or to ensure the security of this system. We only share the information you give us with another government department if your inquiry relates to that department. We do not use the information to create individually identifiable profiles, nor do we disclose this information to anyone outside the Government of Canada (GoC).
Questions or comments regarding this policy, or the administration of the Privacy Act at CSIS may be directed to the Canadian Security Intelligence Service's ATIP Co-ordinator at 1-877-995-9903 or 613-231-0107, or writing to
Canadian Security Intelligence Service
P.O. Box 9732
Postal Station "T"
If you are not satisfied with our response to your privacy concern, you may wish to contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner by e-mail at: email@example.com, by telephone at 1-800-282-1376.
Official Languages Notice
The Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) respects the Official Languages Act and the relevant CSIS policies, and is committed to ensuring all information and services on this site is available in both English and French. However, users should be aware that some information from external sources that are not subject to the Official Languages Act is only provided as a convenience and is available only in the language in which it was provided.
Links to Web sites not under the control of the Government of Canada (GoC) are provided solely for the convenience of users. The GoC is not responsible for the accuracy, currency or the reliability of the content. The GoC does not offer any guarantee in that regard and is not responsible for the information found through these links, nor does it endorse the sites and their contents.
Users should be aware that information offered by non-GoC sites that are not subject to the Official Languages Act and to which the Canadian Security Intelligence Service links, may be available only in the language(s) used by the sites in question.
Web analytics is the collection, analysis, measurement, and reporting of data about Web traffic and visits for purposes of understanding and optimizing Web usage. Information in digital markers may be used for the purpose of web analytics to remember your online interactions with Canadian Security Intelligence Service’s website.
Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) uses Piwik to improve its web site. When your computer requests a Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) Web page, our institution collects the following types of information for Web analytics:
- the originating IP address
- the date and time of the request
- the type of browser used
- the page(s) visited
Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) uses Piwik internally and retains information collected for Web analytics for a maximum period of 18 months. After this period, the information must be disposed of in accordance with the Standard on Privacy and Web Analytics and as authorized by the Librarian and Archivist of Canada. The information is not disclosed to an external third party service provider.
Interacting with Us on Social Media
The CSIS Twitter account (@csiscanada) is managed by our Communications Branch.
Please note: CSIS is not a law enforcement agency. To report an immediate threat to national security, please call 911 or your local police department. You can also contact the RCMP's National Security Information Line.
Content and Frequency
If you follow @csiscanada, you can expect to receive information, which may include (but is not limited to):
- Alerts about CSIS content (news, publications, videos, events, etc.),
- Information about subjects related to our mandate. Occasionally retweeting content that we believe is of value to our audience. This is especially likely when the content is related to the safety and security of Canadians.
We monitor and update @csiscanada between 8am and 5pm E.S.T. Monday to Friday, excluding holidays observed in Ontario.
We accept no responsibility for Twitter downtime.
Replies and Direct Messages
We read all @replies, comments and direct messages sent to us, but will not be able to respond to every message.
We encourage posts that are on topic, respectful and allow for further discussion.
We will ignore comments that contain inappropriate material as outlined below.
We also don't engage on issues of party politics.
Following and Followers
We do not auto-follow. At the moment we only follow accounts from our partners and stakeholders.
Please note that being followed by @csiscanada does not imply endorsement of any kind.
Tweets will be posted in both official languages - in English on the @csiscanada account, and in French on the @scrscanada account. @Replies and direct messages that require a response will be answered in the official language of origin.
Users should be aware that some links may direct users to sites of organizations or other entities that are not subject to the Official Languages Act.
The Government of Canada is committed to achieving a high standard of accessibility and is working to address issues with third-party service provider platforms. If you have any problems accessing any information on the site, an accessible version of Twitter is available. Alternatively, please contact us to obtain the information in an appropriate format.
Twitter, as a third party network, is not bound by Government of Canada policies for web accessibility.
Information shared with the @csiscanada account is subject to the provisions of the Access to Information Act, the Privacy Act and the Library and Archives Canada Act, which means that the information may be accessed and disclosed in response to a request under any of these acts. Users are advised not to share personal information including home addresses and telephone numbers.
We discourage and will ignore comments that:
- are libelous, abusive, rude;
- attack or discriminate against any other individual or group based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability;
- contain threats or harassment;
- violate an individual's privacy;
- break copyright rules; and
- contain spam or links to malicious websites.
We reserve the right to ignore, block and report followers that reply or message us with content that is deemed inappropriate as described above.
Links to Other Websites
Links to websites not under the control of the Government of Canada are provided solely for user convenience. The Government of Canada is not responsible for the information found through these links, nor does it mean we necessarily endorse the sites or their content.
General Enquiries and Media Requests
If you have any questions regarding @csiscanada or our Twitter protocol, please contact us.
Media requests should be directed to our Media Relations contacts.
CSIS reserves the right to change or modify its Twitter Policy without notice.
- Date modified: